Skip to main content

CILIP North West Careers Panel - Anna Theis, Teaching Learning and Students Coordinator at the University of Manchester Library


I began my career journey as a volunteer and then as a graduate trainee at Manchester Metropolitan University and am currently working as a librarian in the University of Manchester Library’s Teaching, Learning and Students Team. 

In this blog post I will give an overview of my career history and current role, framed around my top tips for career development.

Volunteer for opportunities outside your role

This advice is very much dependent on your organisation and individual line manager, but if you don’t ask you never get!

I joined the University of Manchester as a Customer Services Assistant in the new (at the time) Alan Gilbert Learning Commons. The Library’s My Learning Essentials academic skills programme was launched at a similar time and was mainly delivered from the Learning Commons. I took an interest straight away in the programme and looked for opportunities to help out. Luckily, my line manager supported my development and allowed me time away from my desk duties to sit in and assist at the workshops (which also benefited the Customer Services team as I had first-hand knowledge of the workshops). 

It is ultimately that early experience and interest in the Library’s teaching programme which enabled me to apply for and gain my current role in the Library’s Teaching, Learning and Students team.

 Look for opportunities within your role

The main function of my current role is to deliver and develop online and face-to-face academic skills training to students, researchers and staff at the University. It’s been a challenging year and like all library staff I have had to adapt to online delivery. This put me way outside my comfort zone but it’s been an excellent learning opportunity. 

My ultimate ambition is to become a manager and eventually a leader. In order to achieve this I have sought out opportunities within my role to develop management skills in addition to my teaching responsibilities. 

I currently co-ordinate the Library’s researcher development programme: My Research Essentials. I am responsible the day-to-day running of the programme which includes tasks such as scheduling and promoting our training programme, troubleshooting and solving any day-to-day issues. This has enabled me to develop planning, organisational and problem solving skills.

Another opportunity within my team which I have actively sought out and put myself forward for is the management of the Library’s Student Team. This is a team of around 20 casual staff who represent the Student voice across the Library Service and particularly in relation to the skills support we offer. I have been involved in large recruitment drives and have inducted a large team - sourcing and coordinating their day to day work and ensuring that they are fully integrated into our services. I also make sure that the Student Team have the opportunity to develop within their role. 

Look for opportunities outside of your organisation

Another way I’ve been able to gain experience and build my network is to get involved in opportunities outside of my role. Most notably I am a member of the CILIP Academic and Research Libraries Group North West (ARLG NW) and a previous member of the Northern Collaboration Conference committee. 

I’ve found these opportunities most useful for networking and building contacts outside of my organisation and also to gain event management skills. At the CILIP NW Careers Panel event there were questions around how to gain supervisory/management experience when you don’t formally manage anyone. Planning and running CILIP ARLG NW and Northern Collaboration events has enabled me to develop skills such as organisation, delegation, project management and communication – all essential skills for management and supervisory roles. 

Final thoughts 

For me, career development is about gaining experience and skills from as many different avenues as possible, stretching yourself beyond your comfort zone and day-to-day role and duties. However, beware of taking on too much and try to be selective about the opportunities you put yourself forward for. Make sure you maintain an open dialogue with your line manager about your development and interests as there will be opportunities to develop within your role as well as outside of it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sustainability, Accessibility and Resilience: Reflections from the CILIP Conference + Expo 2022 by H Kiely

I was lucky enough to be awarded the bursary from CILIP NW to be able to attend the CILIP Conference this year in Liverpool. I am incredibly grateful to have had this opportunity especially as prior to attending I had just started my new job in what is (for me) the brand-new area of academic libraries. I went in feeling as bright-eyed and new as I did the first time I attended a conference some years ago, a little overwhelmed at the choice of so many different talks but looking forward to learning a lot! Spotted my new workplace at the drinks reception! Museum of Liverpool Life. The theme for the CILIP conference was Sustainability in all its forms. Day one opened with an incredibly powerful and moving keynote from Sayf Al Ashquar, Secretary-General of the Libraries, University of Mosul; Director of Central Library, Iraq on the destruction of the Central Library in Iraq by ISIS soldiers. Destruction of Central Library, Iraq. “To control the people, [ISIS] destroyed the knowledge.”   He

“A Grand Day Out”

  CILIP North West “A Grand Day Out” What Happened? Just before Covid hit in 2020, I began the process of working towards my Chartership. Lockdown gave me lots of opportunity to do all sort of online training and reading. But I struggled with reflective writing; I just couldn’t get my head around how to do it. So, I kept going with development activities and sort of hoped that if I ignored it, reflective writing would just go away. Needless to say, it didn’t. Finally, I felt I had done enough to submit my MCLIP but the pesky reflective writing was hanging over me. So when I saw there was a session on reflective writing at a forthcoming CILIP CPD day, I knew I had to attend and slay the demon! So What? To be honest, I hadn’t paid much attention to the programme for the day beyond the reflective writing session. So it all came as a bit of a surprise, and a very inspiring one. We started with a session about ChatGPT and Artificial Intelligence, led by Tim Leonard, of Bolto

Professional Registration by Sue McKenzie

"To be, or not to be, that is the question." (Shakespeare).  I have been procrastinating about my professional registration for a while now. It’s easy to put it to one side and blame the day-to-day job for not having time to do it.   So, when I was invited to attend a CILIP Professional Registration workshop at our local Educational Library Service, I decided it was the encouragement and kick I needed to get going. I was to find out that this was exactly the same for several others who were attending as well as a few who had not yet registered. An investment in your future We all know that getting professional acknowledgement will not necessarily get us more pay.  But I decided long ago that it wasn’t about the money - I don’t think many of us work in libraries for the money! For me it was about the recognition of doing my job well. Throughout the professional registration process, the candidate is encouraged to reflect on their learning and become more engaged wit