Skip to main content

Discovering a new Secret Weapon with the CILIP North West Career Panel by Samantha Lockett



A few days ago, I saw a tweet that made my stomach flip.

In the tweet the writer asked if other people in their mid-30s had experienced that 'in-between' state in their professional lives; too old to be a new starter but not where they thought they'd be by this point and still establishing their career path.

The Siren of Existential Dread

Perhaps it was all the Ally McBeal I watched growing up – where turning 30 was the equivalent of being dropped into a bin and set on fire – but age had always been a big issue for me. I had long since aged out of the young professional bracket, but my career was still in its early stages. Usually this tweet would have pressed the anxiety button, set off the Siren of Existential Dread (this is a silent siren, much like an anti-youth alarm). Fortunately, I had recently attended CILIP North West’s Library Careers Panel.  I now had a secret weapon. 

A Bit About Me..

I got my first library job at 26. Having spent the first chunk of my twenties assembling towers of discount cookbooks under the supervision of teenagers in WHSmith, I felt like an ancient crone.  In my public library authority, however, I was one of the youngest members of staff. Suddenly I had ideas again, youthful ideas. It was exciting to feel like I was at the start of my career. For the first three years, it was a dream job. I helped people. I led Rhymetime sessions. I dressed up as a witch, a Hogwarts professor, and an Anglo-Saxon peasant (I still say, in the style of RuPaul, ‘Bring back my sack!’). And then I was nearly 30, exactly where I started, and time started to do funny things again. The panic hit. After several disastrous interviews, including one where the interviewer went from saying, ‘You look just like Miss Honey from Matilda’ to ‘You’re going through the wrong door’, I secured a librarian position at a school library service. This was it – serious job time. 

Feeling the Itch

Skip to lockdown. After seven years of working in libraries, I was feeling the itch. While working from home enabled me to expand my job role, finding new ways to develop our digital outreach and collaborate more closely with colleagues, my focus had narrowed. My daily routine – work, walk the dog, eat biscuits, hate-watch Married at First Sight Australia – left a lot of thinking time. I thought about the things I needed to finish, like my postgrad degree, my Chartership portfolio, weeks 4 to 9 of Couch to 5K, and how I probably never would. With public libraries closed, my love for them grew. They were the one that got away. I marvelled at the online content my old library authority produced. The storytimes and the craft sessions and the coding activities – they were living their best life! I worried that I had made a mistake in changing sectors. But wait: did I even want to work in libraries? Maybe joining LinkedIn and comparing my career with those of old classmates would help?  

Hitting the Reset Button

Thankfully library people are generous with their time and expertise. I signed up for free webinars and online events. I discovered how other library services and sectors adapted their services during lockdown, finding inspiration and ideas to incorporate into my own workplace. Hearing other people talk about libraries – people who were not me – was a relief. It was like hitting a reset button, clearing away months of self-indulgence and procrastination. 

The CILIP North West Library Careers Panel

The most recent of these free events was the CILIP North West Library Careers Panel. Chaired by Professional Registration Support Officer Victoria Treadway, the 90-minute Zoom meeting featured six library professionals from a variety of sectors across the North West. Each panellist began by detailing their career in libraries, before moving on to talk about their current role and organisation. Coming from a public library background, I found the respective career paths of Zoe Collyer – who started in public libraries at 16 – and Marg Charlesworth – who joined Cheshire East Libraries after a career change – the most relatable. Given my doubts about changing sectors, I was relieved to hear how Zoe transitioned between public and academic libraries, taking advantage of situations, such as redundancies, to further develop her skills and find her next role. 

As health libraries were the sector I knew least about, I was interested to hear about Gil Young’s role as Knowledge and Library Services Development Manager for Health Education England. I previously considered library jobs to be relatively insular, based in one location or limited to one set role, so it was eye-opening to see the breadth of Gil’s position. I was similarly impressed by the work of academic librarians Sinead English and Anna Theis. It was clear that both Sinead and Anna had built strong relationships with colleagues and library users, quickly adapting their student outreach and remote teaching programmes during lockdown. The final panellist was my colleague Alex Bamford from Cheshire Education Library Service. While I was familiar with the service, it was useful to see how Alex promoted it. As an audience member, I was able to appreciate my workplace – and the excellent service it offers schools – in a new light.  

The Secret Weapon

The panel concluded with a Q&A session. Covering subjects such as imposter syndrome, diversity (or lack of) in library workplaces, job hunting, and navigating the jump from library assistant to librarian, the panel gave thoughtful answers and practical advice. I found Anna Theis’ defence against imposter syndrome – namely preparing for situations, including worst case scenarios, and utilising the support of colleagues – to be especially useful. 

And the secret weapon? Perspective. It turns out that listening to people who are extremely good at their jobs talk about their jobs is a powerful motivator. The panel reminded me that there is no set route into libraries, no timeframe that must be followed. My preoccupation with age could get in the bin. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sustainability, Accessibility and Resilience: Reflections from the CILIP Conference + Expo 2022 by H Kiely

I was lucky enough to be awarded the bursary from CILIP NW to be able to attend the CILIP Conference this year in Liverpool. I am incredibly grateful to have had this opportunity especially as prior to attending I had just started my new job in what is (for me) the brand-new area of academic libraries. I went in feeling as bright-eyed and new as I did the first time I attended a conference some years ago, a little overwhelmed at the choice of so many different talks but looking forward to learning a lot! Spotted my new workplace at the drinks reception! Museum of Liverpool Life. The theme for the CILIP conference was Sustainability in all its forms. Day one opened with an incredibly powerful and moving keynote from Sayf Al Ashquar, Secretary-General of the Libraries, University of Mosul; Director of Central Library, Iraq on the destruction of the Central Library in Iraq by ISIS soldiers. Destruction of Central Library, Iraq. “To control the people, [ISIS] destroyed the knowledge.”   He

“A Grand Day Out”

  CILIP North West “A Grand Day Out” What Happened? Just before Covid hit in 2020, I began the process of working towards my Chartership. Lockdown gave me lots of opportunity to do all sort of online training and reading. But I struggled with reflective writing; I just couldn’t get my head around how to do it. So, I kept going with development activities and sort of hoped that if I ignored it, reflective writing would just go away. Needless to say, it didn’t. Finally, I felt I had done enough to submit my MCLIP but the pesky reflective writing was hanging over me. So when I saw there was a session on reflective writing at a forthcoming CILIP CPD day, I knew I had to attend and slay the demon! So What? To be honest, I hadn’t paid much attention to the programme for the day beyond the reflective writing session. So it all came as a bit of a surprise, and a very inspiring one. We started with a session about ChatGPT and Artificial Intelligence, led by Tim Leonard, of Bolto

Professional Registration by Sue McKenzie

"To be, or not to be, that is the question." (Shakespeare).  I have been procrastinating about my professional registration for a while now. It’s easy to put it to one side and blame the day-to-day job for not having time to do it.   So, when I was invited to attend a CILIP Professional Registration workshop at our local Educational Library Service, I decided it was the encouragement and kick I needed to get going. I was to find out that this was exactly the same for several others who were attending as well as a few who had not yet registered. An investment in your future We all know that getting professional acknowledgement will not necessarily get us more pay.  But I decided long ago that it wasn’t about the money - I don’t think many of us work in libraries for the money! For me it was about the recognition of doing my job well. Throughout the professional registration process, the candidate is encouraged to reflect on their learning and become more engaged wit