Skip to main content

UKSG's 'Introduction to Resource Discovery Seminar'

 Written by Bethany O'Donoghue, Systems Assistant at University of Manchester Library

white letters letters 'U', 'K', 'S', and 'G' in boxes of different shades of blue and green
I was lucky to be successful in obtaining a bursary to attend UKSG's 'Introduction to Resource Discovery' online seminar split over Wednesday 8th and Thursday 9th November. I found out about the event from a LIS-Link email and thought it would be useful to attend as it would expand upon my current (admittedly rudimentary) knowledge of Discovery within libraries. In my application I listed my interests for going were to improve my technical skills, learn more about metadata and learn how libraries use Discovery and I can confirm that this seminar met all of these aims and more.

Each day the seminar began with a welcome from Anja Van Hoek (of Amsterdam University Press) and Magaly Bascones (of Gale). Each welcome was very friendly, established the structure of the webinar, provided insight into how to ask the presenters questions, and fostered an environment of enthusiasm towards what we were going to learn.

On The Wednesday the first presentation was ‘The Role of Metadata for Resource Discovery’ by Getaneh Alemu (of Solent University). Getaneh provided insight into both what metadata is and the significance of it by using 'The School of Athens' fresco by Raphael to symbolise the range of information fields relevant to a single resource and how it assists in resource discoverability. He also gave insight into how many stakeholders contribute to metadata creation (e.g. publishers, creators, library staff, customers), how their roles may impact their creation, and the need to stick to standards to create reliable metadata. This presentation was an informative starting point and I can already see the impact it will have on my work when cataloguing special collections resources which may lack MARC records.

The second presentation on Wednesday was 'Discoverability Service at a Publishing House' by Katinka Bratvold (of Brill). Katinka noted that a lot of her work includes collaboration with system vendors and content providers via emails and support tickets. This relationship with content providers assists in increasing resource findability through metadata accuracy which can in-turn reduce the workload of customers. She noted the impacting factors of exchanging metadata (e.g. cost of and required time for creation, range of file types and compatibility) and challenges working with the vendors/providers (e.g. small staff size and capacity, varying levels of technical knowledge, contract comprehension especially with international vendors/providers). Based off of her own experiences, she stressed the importance of using good metadata, an awareness of differences in metadata and why they exist, and how exceptions made in metadata can create issues. This presentation made me appreciate the work of publishers and vendors more and made me realise why metadata styles can vary so widely.

The following day, the first session was delivered by Marshall Breeding (of Library Technology Guides) on the topic of 'Resource Management and Discovery: Impact of AI and Other Technology Trends'. By looking at statistics based on US libraries, he noted that there is a trend for academic and research libraries to spend more than other libraries on integrated library management systems, which can require multiple systems and costs for maintenance. Variations of these LMSs include electronic library management systems which use a knowledge base to provide package selection options and limit the amount of research libraries need to do to find suitable resources. These systems can also manage formats to support resource discoverability, can assist several roles common to libraries (subscriptions, licenses, open access and analytics), and reduce the need to maintain separate systems for e- and print resources. This presentation has made me think about how the development of such systems and the future of AI can assist in library functioning without making roles obsolete.

The final presentation of the seminar was on 'Library eResource Discovery at University of Strathclyde' and was delivered by Fiona Tinto (of University of Strathclyde). Fiona gave useful insight into the work of eResource Discovery management and monitoring within a university library, which includes resource discovery, evaluation, purchasing and maintenance. She discussed the amount of work that goes into maintaining access to online resources, and how tasks are split up within her small team. She stressed the importance of having clear communication channels with content providers and providing regular feedback to ensure that both her library and they are providers are delivering quality content to all users. This presentation gave insight to the amount of work that goes into using and maintaining a discovery layer, and was a nice end to a seminar structured to look at the cycle of discovery layers through ending with the users.

Following this seminar, I look forward to figuring out how to modify this knowledge for my own needs and the needs of my team. In addition, I have learnt a lot about the different career paths within the information and publishing sectors which would utilise these skills. I would strongly recommend attending other UKSG seminars due to the breadth and quality of information each seminar provides. In addition, I would recommend applying for bursaries through the CILIP North West group – the process to apply was quick and straight forward, and Suzanne and Tracy were ready and willing to answer any questions I had about the process.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sustainability, Accessibility and Resilience: Reflections from the CILIP Conference + Expo 2022 by H Kiely

I was lucky enough to be awarded the bursary from CILIP NW to be able to attend the CILIP Conference this year in Liverpool. I am incredibly grateful to have had this opportunity especially as prior to attending I had just started my new job in what is (for me) the brand-new area of academic libraries. I went in feeling as bright-eyed and new as I did the first time I attended a conference some years ago, a little overwhelmed at the choice of so many different talks but looking forward to learning a lot! Spotted my new workplace at the drinks reception! Museum of Liverpool Life. The theme for the CILIP conference was Sustainability in all its forms. Day one opened with an incredibly powerful and moving keynote from Sayf Al Ashquar, Secretary-General of the Libraries, University of Mosul; Director of Central Library, Iraq on the destruction of the Central Library in Iraq by ISIS soldiers. Destruction of Central Library, Iraq. “To control the people, [ISIS] destroyed the knowledge.”   He

Professional Registration by Sue McKenzie

"To be, or not to be, that is the question." (Shakespeare).  I have been procrastinating about my professional registration for a while now. It’s easy to put it to one side and blame the day-to-day job for not having time to do it.   So, when I was invited to attend a CILIP Professional Registration workshop at our local Educational Library Service, I decided it was the encouragement and kick I needed to get going. I was to find out that this was exactly the same for several others who were attending as well as a few who had not yet registered. An investment in your future We all know that getting professional acknowledgement will not necessarily get us more pay.  But I decided long ago that it wasn’t about the money - I don’t think many of us work in libraries for the money! For me it was about the recognition of doing my job well. Throughout the professional registration process, the candidate is encouraged to reflect on their learning and become more engaged wit

“A Grand Day Out”

  CILIP North West “A Grand Day Out” What Happened? Just before Covid hit in 2020, I began the process of working towards my Chartership. Lockdown gave me lots of opportunity to do all sort of online training and reading. But I struggled with reflective writing; I just couldn’t get my head around how to do it. So, I kept going with development activities and sort of hoped that if I ignored it, reflective writing would just go away. Needless to say, it didn’t. Finally, I felt I had done enough to submit my MCLIP but the pesky reflective writing was hanging over me. So when I saw there was a session on reflective writing at a forthcoming CILIP CPD day, I knew I had to attend and slay the demon! So What? To be honest, I hadn’t paid much attention to the programme for the day beyond the reflective writing session. So it all came as a bit of a surprise, and a very inspiring one. We started with a session about ChatGPT and Artificial Intelligence, led by Tim Leonard, of Bolto